Schools all over the U.S. are releasing kids for the summer, and with that comes lots of summertime water sports with the family. One of the most popular water sports at Bremer Jet Ski & Watercraft Rental, Inc. is, of course, jet skiing! Families love taking a jet ski out and enjoying time together on the water.
But before you and your family hit the waves—are you aware of all the safety basics? Especially if you have very small children, it’s important to know some guidelines.
- Vests need to fit comfortably, giving no more than three inches when lifted at the shoulders.
- If your child is under 18 pounds, they should not be on board.
- No child should be on board unless they can wear an appropriately-fitting PFD.
- Place small children between two responsible adults on board. They will probably want to ride in the front, but this can be dangerous.
- The driver should be mindful that there is a child or children on board. No reckless turns or fast maneuvers should be taken.
If Your Child Goes Overboard
Hopefully, this will never happen, but it’s good to be prepared in case it does. Know exactly in your mind what to do if this emergency occurs. The first thing to do if a child goes overboard is to stay on board, but tell the driver to stop. Once they’ve stopped, look around quickly for any traffic dangers, and if there aren’t any, get into the water. Swim to the child, never taking your eyes off of him or her.
At Bremer Jet Ski & Watercraft, we greatly understand the importance of family and water safety. As a family-owned and -operated business, the safety of our customers is our top priority. As summertime embraces us, let’s all be safe and have a blast with our families! If you’re in the Minnesota area and are interested in jet ski rentals, ski boat rentals, pontoon boat rentals, or any other types of water toys, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling (612) 298-7055. We look forward to hearing from you!